One of the easiest ways for doctors to drive prospect patients to their practice is to become an expert in their field. The term “Expert” carries credibility and prestige that can open many doors for doctors, and, oddly enough, the term is relatively easy to acquire. Aurora Information Technology, Inc., a New York Web design and marketing company, has advice for doctors to quickly and effectively become the expert in their field.
1. Focus on your medical specialty – Instead of trying to be an expert in diagnosing and treating every disease in your field, narrow down your focus to the procedures that you are really, really good at. One of Aurora’s most successful clients, Nabet G. Kasabian, M.D., is a specialist in laser prostatectomy procedures for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). One of the newest and most effective treatment options for patients who’ve been diagnosed with BPH is GreenLight Laser PVP, a minimally invasive treatment using high-powered green-light to vaporize and remove enlarge prostate tissue. Dr. Kasabian has performed many GreenLight procedures and he is frequently quoted and is asked to speak at about his expertise at urology meetings. Doctors like Dr. Kasabian that find their niche will excel in their profession.
2. Launch a website – Did you know that half of American adults have searched online for health information? This makes the search for medical or health information one of the most popular online activities after email and researching things to buy online. If you don’t currently have a website, the unfortunate fact is that you aren’t even being considered by the majority of new and potential patients. Make it a priority to have a quality website detailing your medical expertise, training, patient testimonials, research and publications, and contact information as soon as possible.
3. Identify your website goals – A website is the face of a medical practice or hospital. However, based on Aurora’s research, many doctors have template, old, or dated looking websites that are not up to the marketing challenge. This is a mistake. Doctors, hospitals, and medical practices need a website that’s been designed-from the bottom up-to complement and enhance their image with pleasant graphics and intuitive site navigation. The main fact doctors need to understand is that website traffic is life. Without website traffic, there is no reason to have a website, period. Internet marketing and search engine companies like Aurora Information Technology, Inc. provide services to doctors to improve online visibility of their website using pay-per-click and organic search engine marketing techniques. Aurora is a full service medical website development, medical website design, and software programming company with offices in Ardsley, New York.
4. Publish research and clinical expertise – Doctors should frequently publish information and research about their areas of expertise on the Internet and elsewhere. Every single day, tens of thousands editors, web masters, and newsletter publishers are looking doggedly for unique and information-packed articles about disease diagnosis, treatment, research, and new advancements in medicine, like GreenLight laser treatment for BPH. If you can write articles that teach readers about your specialty, you will become a recognized expert and there will be more demand for your services. This is almost guaranteed.
5. Participate in public speaking engagements – When your articles begin to get published, you’ll start to receive requests to speak more often. 95% of the population has some nervousness about public speaking. So when you stand up and say what you want to say, the way you want to say it, you are doing what 95% of the population wish they could do. When you speak about your medical specialty, you set yourself up as the expert on that topic. You gain instant credibility. If you get nervous when you speak in front of a group, attend a public speaking class. Other than going to medical school, this will be one of the best investments of your life, because the more confident you can express your expertise and successes, the more you will impress people and your peers. This is the key to success in any profession. 6. Focus on the patient experience – The old adage, that word-of-mouth is the cheapest and most effective form of advertising, is still true. It’s important for doctors to remember that a happy patient can generate many new referrals. Be compassionate, communicative, professional, and honest with your patients and their family. Additionally, doctors should encourage patients to write testimonials about their experiences. Post the testimonials on your website regularly. Website visitors love to read positive experiences about a doctor’s services. Wouldn’t you? Doctors that follow these simple six steps can become the recognized experts in their field.